Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Connections

I love to read. Recently I read "Visioneering" by Andy Stanley and "A Journey to Victorious Praying" by Bill Thrasher. That may seem a strange pair without any connection. I would agree--until. Until I had finished both the books and saw how the book on prayer would actually help me with the visoneering.
In the book "Visioneering" I was lead to develop a vision for every area in life--not just ministry. A vision is just how you want your family, your job, your life, your whatever to be. Then you take steps to realize that vision. In the book "A Journey to Victorious Praying" I learned how to take trials, temptations, and struggles and turn them into opportunities to pray. Like when I am tempted to eat even when I am not really hungry (emotional eating), then I stop and pray for people all over the world who are hungry even starving and people who don't have enough to eat. My temptation then becomes an opportunity to pray.
So, here's the trick. Whenever I begin to worry about people or situations that I cannot change, I turn to the Lord in prayer and pray for that person and situation. When I am discouraged about minsitry, I pray for the children and parents to which I minister. I pray for the ministry volunteers. I add in a little prayer for myself too! :) These prayers will help me realize my visions.
Try this, it really works!

No comments: